ONLINE THEATRE COMPANY
ONLINE THEATRE COMPANY
NEXT OF KIN
John Chris Nayak
Emma Ellie Fanyinka
Gabriel Jonathon Broadbent
Reggie Michael Lumsden
Lilly Daniella Down
Karen Marianne Oldham
Beryl Francesca Ryan
Mrs Weaver Mina Anwar
Director David Ricardo-Pearce
Playwright Alan Olejniczak
Story Nicholas Atkinson
Sound Design Carl Prekopp
Producer Nicholas Atkinson
Cover Design Belinda Pinto
A World Co-Premiere Opera
Death of Ivan Ilych
Music by John Young and Libretto by Alan Olejniczak
in partnership with Orlando Opera and Thompson Street Opera Company
FRIDAY | February 19 at 7:30 p.m.
SUNDAY | February 21 at 5 p.m.
ORLANDO MUSEUM OF ART
2416 N Mills Avenue | Orlando, FL 32803
If death were a certainty, would you change the way you live today?
Opera Orlando premieres this one-act chamber opera composed by John Young and a libretto by Alan Olejniczak, with musicians from Alterity Chamber Orchestra. Based on Tolstoy's masterpiece novella of the same name, the opera was written as a response to the composer’s own battle with cancer and the very real threat of dying. The opera is a poignant meditation and exploration of life and death.
The opera will be performed onsite in the Orlando Museum of Art Grand Gallery Hall with pre-show drinks and light appetizers, as well as a post-show dessert reception and an opportunity to meet the cast and musicians. Performance will be sung in English and run approximately 90 minutes with no intermission. Due to CoVid-19, seating is limited for this production.
Thompson Street Opera Company
”The Death of Ivan Ilych is an adaptation of one of the great works of Russian fiction. The title character in the opera reflects on a life lived according to the expectations of his family and his society, and discovers a deeply rooted desire to recover his authenticity. Ivan Ilych reconnects with himself for only a few moments before the end of his life, but we can learn from his example and correct our own courses much sooner.
The music of John Young is immediate and emotionally impactful. The lovely melodic lines and heart-wrenching harmonies may remind listeners of the romantic operas of Barber and Menotti. For the composer, who lost his singing voice and nearly his life to cancer, the story and message are deeply personal, and the connection is clear in his musical writing. This opera is a heartfelt ode to authentic living.”
Grant Preisser, Directing
Alexandra Enyart, Conducting
- October 2020- Gala Chair of Opera Parallèle's Virtual Gala.
- September 2020 - The Proscenium and Next of Kin launch
- August 2020 - Live Stream Interview with Opera Orlando's The High Note: Episode 11. Watch Here
- June 2020 - Zoom Libretto Reading of the opera Minute to Midnight with music by Dante da Silva
- May 2020 - Guest speaker of the Music Department at UC Santa Cruz
- May 2020 - Transgress, long-list finalist for The Kenneth Branagh Award, Windsor Fringe, UK
- April 2020 - Zoom Audio Drama Reading of Next of Kin for Proscenium, Hong Kong, SAR
- February 2020 - Death of Ivan Ilych selected as a finalist for Thompson Street Opera's "Choose Our Season"
- February 2020 - TRANSVERSE | 橫, A Micro-Galleries Virtual Collaboration with Eleanor McColl, Hong Kong, SAR
- January 2020 - New American Voices Playwriting Festival Semi-Finalist for Helt Texas
- January 2020 - Reading of WorkForce, Z Space, San Francisco, CA
- November 2019 - Faultline Theater Retreat, table reading of WorkForce, Sea Ranch, CA
- November 2019 - Nes Writer-in-Residence, Skagaströnd, Iceland
- October 2019 - Helt Texas, Third-Place Winner, Playhouse Creatures Emerging Playwrights Contest, NYC
- September 2019 - Artist in Residence for Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park
- September 2019 - Sea Level 2080 with Micro Galleries: Disrupting Climate Disruption: Day of Creative Action
- July 2019 - Helt Texas, Finalist for the Garry Marshall Theatre New Works Festival, Burbank, CA
- May 2019 - Reading of Val-Kill with The 38th Annual William Inge Theatre Festival, Independence, Kansas
- April 2019 - Reading of Helt Texas with Google Sustainability Team, Mountain View, CA
- February 2019 - Lethe performed by Liz Hayes with The Artists at Albaross Reach, The Sea Ranch, CA
- December 2018 - Reading of Helt Texas with Faultline Theater, San Francisco, CA
- November 2018 - Micro Galleries Collective Residency, Patan, Nepal